Few holiday acts make a statement as bold as giving art as a gift. It’s bold for a couple reasons: one, the giver is gifting something that is meant to be displayed, and two, the giver is telling the recipient something about how he or she views the relationship and the recipient. If you give a painting of a dog to a person who can’t stand dogs, for example, what does that say about how well you really know that person?
But giving art as a gift is a creative and personal thing to do, and it’s nearly always appreciated. And it does not need to be a daunting task. Here are a few tips on finding the perfect piece of art for someone else’s wall:
1. Make a list. Describe the recipient with a few words. Funny? Serious? Stylish? Traditional? When you look at an individual piece, determine whether this same list can be used to describe the piece of art. If so, you’re on the right track.
2. Visualize. What does this person’s home look like? Lots of reds, or tons of antiques, or Danish modern furniture? How would a particular piece of art fit into that decor?
3. Size it up. There are many, many options for canvas size. Here at Green Box Art + Culture, pieces are available in a variety of sizes (24×24, 39×39, 48×48, 36×72, 60×45…you get the idea), and there are square pieces, horizontal rectangles, verticle rectangles–a whole lot of choice. So, do you want to go with one large piece? Or one small? Or a combo or grouping? You can be as creative with the sizes and shapes as you can with the pieces thmeselves.
4. Search. Our website is set up for browsing. Start with color, or subject matter, or your price range, or find an artist whose work reminds you of the recipient and discover the variety of pieces he or she has created.
5. Click. Do it! Our fine art canvases are custom-made, hand-stretched, packed and shipped ready to hang. It’s our goal to share the gift of fine art, and it’s our mission to give you the tools you need to give a gift that will be cherished for years to come.
Happy Holidays, and Happy Shopping!